Friday, April 13, 2012

Few There are the Find It

Things I learned on my way to Lewisville – Day 2
Few There Are that Find It

Matthew 7:13&14 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

What a day Tuesday started out to be.  My laptop was not working like it should be and I needed to have reports ready for an call.  This was end of quarter and I needed to be on the road, headed to Lewisville.  I decided it was best to stay at the house and get my numbers together so I could give an up to date report for the morning logistics call.  I called the IT support team to see if they could help me with my laptop and they told me to go ahead and bring it by the Plano office.  By the time everything was taken care of and I headed on my hour long drive to the warehouse, it was about .  I pulled on to the freeway and drove for a few moments and remembered how bad the traffic had been the day before.  I was west bound and while there was quite a bit of traffic, it was moving at the posted speeds.  I looked over at the east bound side and noticed there were very few cars.  In fact, the 4 lanes looked almost bare compared to the west bound side.   Once again, as with the day before, I heard that small still voice getting my attention.

“Debbie, this morning’s drive is a great illustration of the “narrow road” mentioned in the Bible and the few there are that find it”.  I thought about that and looked straight ahead, then to the side and in my rear view mirror; all of us, filling up 4 lanes of highway, going in the same direction.  It was like we were playing follow the leader but the line of traffic was so far ahead I was not sure who the leader was.  My heart became saddened by the image that was now painted in my mind.  The image of thousands and thousands of people all headed down life’s highway but headed in a direction that is a destination of destruction.  I was reminded of Proverbs There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.

The Lord began to bring people to my mind that were lost and headed in a way that seems right to them.  I looked again to the east bound lane and the picture of “few there are that find it” screamed out at me.  Few there are that find it; why???  Why is there so few on the narrow road and so many on the wide road?  The Lord spoke, “The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few.  My people have become so entwined with the rat race and the fast, cluttered pace of daily routine that they do not take time to care about the lost.  There is no sense of urgency among my people.  There is little or no discipleship and the church has become so complacent and worldly that the lost world is confused and bewildered.  Many of them know there is something missing in their lives but when they see “Christians” they see people who say one thing and live another.  They see people who can’t get along among themselves and who fuss and fight over nonessential differences.  They see people who are so compromised that there is very little or no difference in their lives.  They don’t believe we have the answer because so many of us are walking around like a question mark instead of an explanation mark.  Most “Christians” cannot defend their faith or even share what they believe and why they believe it.   Divorce among proclaiming Christians is as high as or higher than the lost world.  Fathers have disengaged and the family unit is falling apart.  Mothers have left the home in search of “fulfillment and gratification” while relinquishing her role at homemaker and care taker of her children.  So called “believers” have traded the truth of God’s word for a lie of convenience and self-gratification to the point that they do not have time to care about those on the wide road because they are too busy trying to run each other off the narrow road”.
I heard the Lord as He described the current day condition of His people.  I realized again that God’s perspective is so much clearer than mine.  He is not lulled into thinking “things are OK in the USA” and He reminded me “to whom much is given, much is required”.  Being on the narrow road is not a free pass to forget those on the wide road.  Romans 10:14-17 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?  And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”  But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?”  So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Heavenly Father, please put a burning desire in my heart to see lost people come to know you.  Help me remember that it was for the lost that you came and gave your life.  I too was on the wide road and had it not been for your undeserved grace and mercy I would be there today.  You loved the world so much that you sent your only begotten son that whosoever would believe in Him would not perish but would have everlasting life.  Father help me remember that we are called to be salt and light to a dark, hurting, broken world.  Help me remember that your Holy Spirit does the drawing and the convicting but we are called to do the telling, the living it out, the bearers of the Good News.  We are to cover our feet with the gospel of peace and take that message to a world in ciaos.  Father, give me kind of love you have for those on the wide road. 
In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment